Tax Manager (Contract)
Temporary 3-Month Contract (Potential for Perm)
STRIVE is a specialist recruitment firm offering proactive recruitment solutions in the areas of Accounting & Finance, Corporate Administration, and Manufacturing Operations. STRIVE supports various clients from small to medium-sized enterprises to Fortune 500 organizations for their permanent, contract, and temporary recruitment needs.
STRIVE is working with a leading Biotech firm based in Vancouver, BC who is looking to hire a Tax Manager on a 3-month contract with the potential for the role to go permanent.
As the Tax Manager, you would be responsible for managing Canadian, US, and International tax compliance, transfer pricing, tax audits, tax accounting, and reporting activities. You will also work with leaders across the finance team to assist with tax planning initiatives whilst ensuring regulatory requirements are being met.
The client is looking for someone who has either Canadian or US corporate tax experience, direct from public practice or from industry. This is a fantastic opportunity to get your foot in the door at a market leader that is experiencing tremendous growth. The great thing is, the role will be a mix of Tax compliance and reporting along with Tax planning!
- Monitor global statutory tax filing requirements, deadlines and payments
- Manage process for preparing and filing Canadian and US tax returns including preparing working papers and coordinating with external advisors. Ensure tax returns are filed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Manage the process for preparing claims for Canadian SR&ED tax credits, the US Research and Development tax credits
- Prepare and file non-income tax returns including indirect tax returns such as GST, PST, QST, sales and use taxes, and other related returns as necessary
- Prepare quarterly and year-end tax provisions for audited financial statements in accordance with US GAAP
- Prepare financial statement tax notes and required reconciliations
- Liaise with external auditors during quarterly reviews and annual audits of regulatory financial statements to support their review of tax-related financial disclosures
- Remain current with developments in tax accounting under US GAAP, and identify and communicate changes
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies on tax-related matters, and identify opportunities for improvement
- Assist with tax audits as required and gather supporting documents on tax positions
- Assist with payroll tax-related questions, including stock-based compensation and cross-border employee tax issues
- Assist with developing and executing tax planning strategies and processes
- Research tax implications of commencing operations in new jurisdictions and assist with developing a plan to address the tax implications
- Assist with evaluating tax risks and developing tax planning solutions for strategic transactions and special projects
- Assist with establishing transfer pricing structures and support the development, implementation and calculation of transfer pricing processes and documentation
- Assist with tax research and communicate findings to management and team leaders
- Stay current with Canadian and US tax law, with awareness of international tax trends and developments
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 5 years’ progressive experience of either US Corporate Tax and Canadian Corporate Tax
- Professional designation of CPA
- Experience with international tax an asset
- Experience with SAP, Ariba and Vertex an asset
- High attention to detail and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to think and act strategically, anticipate road-blocks and map out action plans
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage concurrent deliverables and work effectively in a challenging, milestone-driven environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral);
- Proven experience building strong relationships with cross-functional teams, external providers, and business partners