Safety Coordinator/Lab Technician
SAFETY COORDINATOR/LAB TECHNICIAN
STRIVE is a specialist recruitment firm offering proactive recruitment solutions in the areas of Accounting & Finance, Corporate Administration, and Manufacturing Operations. STRIVE supports various clients from small to medium-sized enterprises to Fortune 500 organizations for their permanent, contract, and temporary recruitment needs.
Our recruitment team is currently working with a growing manufacturer seeking a Safety Coordinator and Lab Technician for the plant in Langley. Preference will be given to those candidates who come from previous research work in a laboratory setting, as well as having worked in an industrial setting performing safety inspections and quality checks.
Please note, this opportunity is not accessible via transit, therefore the use of your own transportation is required.
The main duties of the Safety Coordinator and Lab Technician consist of performing repetitive product quality testing, routine safety inspections across the plant, and ensuring all employees abide by safety protocols by attending regular meetings and identifying areas for improvement.
This is a full-time position running from Monday to Friday on straight daytime shifts, with flexible timings available. Could work as early as 6 am for 8.5-hour shifts (30-minute break) or 9-hour shifts (1-hour break)
- Calling monthly joint health and safety committee (JHSC) meetings, co-chairing JHSC meetings, as well as preparing and posting minutes of JHSC meetings. Sustainability meetings and reviewing objectives
- Performing and documenting monthly workplace inspections (fire safety)
- Monitoring the safety training status of all employees. Providing training to workers as required, including the preparation of training materials
- Leading incident investigations for first reports and near misses
- Promoting and increasing collaboration and worker buy-in for health and safety, as well as environment, quality, and overall company success
- Lab work including melt flow testing, tensile strength testing, HPLC preparation, and HPLC testing
- Extrusion of lab quality samples and research and development samples
- Review procedure manuals to align with best safe practices
- Entering data, either quality test data for preparation of Certificates of Analysis, or statistics for sustainability and capacity utilization reporting to our head office
- Identifying risks in the workplace and making recommendations to address risks. Risk assessment.
- 2+ experience in manufacturing or commercial labs, in progressive positions
- Post-secondary education in a related field preferred
- Acquired training in manufacturing-related skills such as mobile equipment operations, workplace first aid, JHSC requirements, and WHMIS
- Familiarity with BC's Occupational Health and Safety Regulations and Occupational Safety Standard of Excellence (OSSE) requirements
- Detail oriented and self-motivated
- Concise and precise technical writing. Commanding written and verbal communication skills
- Discipline and motivation to perform repetitive testing tasks quickly and accurately
- Manual dexterity and finesse for the use of laboratory instrumentation
- Curiosity to seek innovative solutions to health and safety, quality, or environmental challenges
- Collaborates with co-workers, management, and other stakeholders
- Faces challenging situations with tenacity and a commitment to honesty and sound ethics
- Knowledgeable in working with computing systems for report generation
- Comfortable working in a noisy setting and working directly with hot surfaces and warm temperatures
- 100% Company-paid benefits package, including short-term and long-term disability, extended medical, life insurance, and paramedical
- $1000 per year allocated to service not included in the medical package
- Annual staff performance incentive rewards program
- 5% RSP contribution matching with direct/immediate investment opportunities!
- 3 weeks vacation, and 5 sick/personal days (doctor's note required)
- A people-first work environment
- Various growth opportunities