Design and Engineering Manager
STRIVE is a specialist recruitment firm offering proactive recruitment solutions in the areas of Accounting & Finance, Corporate Administration, and Manufacturing Operations. STRIVE supports various clients from small to medium-sized enterprises to Fortune 500 organizations for their permanent, contract, and temporary recruitment needs.
Our client is a leading manufacturer of innovative merchandising solutions with a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Surrey and they are looking for a Design and Engineering Manager to join their team. The Design and Engineering Manager (DEM) will be managing a team of 4 designers to design and estimate products for quality, cost-effectiveness, and reliability. The DEM provides vision and leadership to the team to meet corporate objectives.
- Manages, and coordinates the design, development, estimation, and evaluation of products that meet company requirements, including prototypes used for selling purposes.
- Plans, formulates and controls the design projects and organizes staff to meet performance, budget, and schedule requirements. Provides timely feedback to management regarding project status.
- Provides technical and non-technical guidance and coaching to design team and technicians.
- Proposes and develops new product designs, oversees prototyping process and concept prove-outs for new products.
- Leads others in the creation and release of product designs for production.
- Reviews product design and estimates throughout the design cycle for quality, fit for purpose, and manufacturability.
- Ensures the product design documentation is maintained in accordance with company policy and sound design practices.
- Creates product test specifications and provides technical support.
- Assist employees in creating their personal development plan.
- Reviews and monitors the performance of employees and provides guidance to ensure they meet their job responsibilities and objectives.
- Prioritizes, schedules, and coordinates daily work and activities for department employees.
- Carries out other related tasks and projects as required
Skills & Qualifications
- 5 years of experience leading a team of engineering, technologists, engineers, designers, and technicians ideally from a similar industry
- Excellent experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and CAD software
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering. A PEng is an asset
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to effectively lead and mentor a team
- Able to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to create high-quality products that meet specifications on-time.